Monday, October 10, 2011

Day Job Woes

Although my books are selling well, they don't sell enough for me to quit my day job. I still have to babysit to bring the money in. Lately, it seems that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I babysit for two families, both first children. One is 2 years old and the other is 6 months old. The 2 year old has been here over a year. Her parents are pretty flexible, they let me take her to appointments if I have them or wherever I might need to go, they're almost too flexible. They feel that they can disregard the contract, not bring her one week, and not have to pay. I don't understand people like this. My contract specifically says I won't charge them if they tell me one week in advance that their daughter won't be here. Simple right? Better than a daycare who will charge you no matter what. But, no. I get a text at 9pm the night before telling me she won't be here this week.

Well, I budgeted that money. I needed that money. It's my paycheck. So, I could be mean and say I still want to get paid - because that IS what the contract says. OR I could let it go - AGAIN. I know they are struggling financially and I feel really bad insisting that they pay. I try to work with them as much as possible, but what about me? Why would anyone want to screw over the person who takes care of their child???

Then the other people who are good about giving me notice, bounced checks and then got irritated when I told them I wanted cash from now on. Really? Another contract thing. You bounce, you pay, and then you have to pay cash. And again, I must ask, WHY would you do that to your babysitter? These people aren't flexible when it comes to taking their child anywhere. It's a big, fat NO. Normally, I don't go anywhere, but there might be an occasion where I have to go to the doctor or pick someone up at school.

I can't wait for the day that I make enough money on my books so I don't have to babysit anymore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment