Monday, January 14, 2013

2013

Here it is. A new year. A blank slate. To authors like me, a blank sheet of paper. And yet, it still feels like the same old thing. Maybe it's the gloomy January, maybe it's the lack of sleep, but nothing feels like it's a new year.

I would like nothing better to feel inspired. To feel like anything can happen. Most days I'm just too darn tired to feel much of anything. I'm not a morning person. I'm a night owl. And I'm not someone who falls asleep the minute my head hits the pillow. I toss and turn and toss again. I flip, I flop. I think about things. I think about my life, my family, money... I think about my characters, my books, and what to do next.

And then the baby wakes up. Not once. Not twice. Every 1-2 hours all night long. I love my little guy to pieces, but he's almost 10 months old and needs to sleep. By the time I finally fall asleep at night, he wakes up, and then I only sleep in short spurts until about 7am when I have to get up to get the girls off to school.

I'm exhausted. I can't form enough words to write a page or two in any of my books. Not any that make sense anyway. It's possible this blog post won't make sense. But at least I will have tried.

I'm still here. When I can see straight, I've been editing the second book in the Between Words series. The sequel to Dark Promise cowritten with Julia Crane. Once that is done, I hope to work on a third book in the Gifted Teens series. I'm thinking of writing it from Kassia and Mira's viewpoints like the first book. I also hope to get a book about cutting out this year. I've been working on it when I can, but it's not much yet.

I know readers and fans like to see an author put lots of books out every year, so I hope that my fans can understand that I only released one last year and that I'll be trying to get two out this year, maybe three. I won't be going anywhere. I have so many stories to tell. I'll be around for a long, long time. I hope you will all share in the journey with me.

2 comments:

  1. Sending you Happy vibes and hugs. Hope you get some rest. All is forgiven on the waiting department. When something is as good as your books, it is worth waiting a while longer for more.

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best for this year! And hopefully sleep will come...along with the words. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete